[BLDG-SIM] Weather Normalization?

Larry Degelman ldegelman at cox.net
Mon Mar 20 11:40:43 PST 2006

Mike,

My response does not suggest a software package, but I will suggest that the
most meaningful climatic classifications would be to follow the climate
zones in ASHRAE Standard 90.1.  There are 8 zones, but when the sub-classes
of "moist (A)", "dry (B)", and "maritime (C)" zones are included, there are
17 zones, and they represent the entire world - no just the U.S.  This would
not seem to be an impractical number to deal with and it also matches the
IECC climate zones.  Possibly you could pick a city that is approximately
centrally located in each zone.  It turns out that zone 1B (very hot-dry)
does not exist in the U.S., but you could use Riyadh or some other hot-arid
city in a foreign country.  I believe all the other zones are represented by
U.S. cities.

Larry D

Larry O. Degelman, P.E.                  ldegelman at cox.net

Prof. Emeritus of Architecture    Ph./Fax: 1-979-696-2506

Texas A&M University