[bldg-sim] IESVE software

Graham & Megan hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Thu May 11 13:41:46 PDT 2006

It's interesting watching this forum over the past 5 or so years.  At the risk of putting TRNSYS, ESPr or EnergyPlus users offside, it has evolved from being a DOE-2.1E focussed to EQuest/2.2 focussed to now including a balanced discussion on a number of additional tools.  It is good to see the thermal analysis tools originating from Europe gathering interest in North America.

I have used DOE-2 and Apache (IES) for years and have watched both evolve.  I share Peter's sentiments and would add it actually has a GUI for all the modules and the modules do generally work together off the common geometry and templates - other programs promise this and don't deliver with a single module.  One frustration / challenge is that it can be quite easy to create large complex APhvac (the mechanical airside simulation) modules and when it comes time for debugging / quality reviews I have found it very difficlt to pin down what is going wrong or right.  Ultimately there is a means to get at all the information, but this can be time consuming.  Building up  model progressively can help mitigate these challenges, but IES and other programs could learn a lot from the structured and layered reporting of DOE-2.  Perhaps if more of us start asking for this then they will add key reports.

While Apache is great on the airside it has limited functionality on the waterside so depending on where your design efforts are focussed you may be better off with EQuest /2.2 or other tools.  Also don't underestimate the value of macros and expressions in EQuest/2.2 where you need to change shading / glazing dimensions across a building at the stroke of a key or switch system operation without having to redraw / reset 50+ controllers ...

Another frustration of mine is ISO 7730 / ASHRAE 55 thermal comfort calculations which account for surface temperatures in a radiant temperature calculation but not any of the shortwave diffuse or beam radiation from the sky / sun. Apache has a compliant comfort calculation, but to get a full picture in facade design one needs to see the diffuse and preferably beam radiation factored in.  EDSL's TAS factors diffuse and Arup at the time I left still had a wonderful tool that factored both diffuse and beam.  It would be good to see other programs add this funcionality in.  Anyone who can do it with commercially available software would have my interest.  In Australia we get a lot of sun and it is 10-15% more intense in summer than for the same latitude in the north due to the earth's elliptical orbit around the sun so perhaps we focus on this more than other parts of the world.

Regards,
Graham