[bldg-sim] Using Sea / Lake Water as Condenser Water

Mike Tillou miket at etcgrp.com
Thu Nov 30 09:58:55 PST 2006

You are pretty limited in what you can do here.

The Lake/Well condenser water option is only for heat pumps and not for
water cooled chillers.

The obvious problem with using a cooling tower and simply setting the
fan energy to zero is you don't get to take advantage of the improved
chiller performance as a result of using colder condenser water.

One work around might be:

Assuming the lake/well is going to supply a pretty constant condenser
water temperature, say 55-60F.  You could try setting up a condenser
loop that always supplies water at a constant temperature say 85F using
a cooling tower with fan energy set to zero.  To capture the improved
performance of the chiller modify the chiller performance curves so that
the performance at 85F matches the expected performance with the
lake/well water at 55F-60F.

This approach should give you a reasonable answer if you calibrate it
correctly.

Michael Tillou, PE
ETC Group, Inc - Energy Engineering for a Sustainable Future