[BLDG-SIM] Ground loop heat pumps + boilers.

Matt Gangemi mgangemi at WoodHarbinger.com
Wed Oct 25 07:51:33 PDT 2006

I understand that DOE2 (and therefore eQuest) doesn't handle boilers
connected to ground loop heat pumps.  This is of course a problem, as
unless you have a very large ground loop in reality you need an
additional heat source.  How I've decided to handle this is to use two
runs - one with a regular sized ground loop, and one with a ground loop
with 100x the area.  I then take the heat energy difference, and use
that as my predicted boiler energy use (after adjusting for efficiency).
Basically, I'm assuming a boiler steps in to provide the capacity that
the heat pumps could use when they need it.

Does anyone see a problem with this strategy?  I understand it misses
some of the finer details of a ground source system, but it seems like a
reasonable estimate of energy use.  Is there a better way to do this?

 Thanks,

-Matt Gangemi, P.E.

Mechanical Engineer

Wood Harbinger, Inc.