[BLDG-SIM] LEED Core&Shell simulation and lighting

Thomas White twhite at glumac.com
Tue Oct 31 15:46:46 PST 2006

Chris,

We ran into a similar question on a LEED C&S project in Seattle. We submitted a CIR to USGBC to allow for energy savings, after the construction, for a TI build-out to code. In our case, the lighting power density would, by Seattle code, be less than the LPD for ASHRAE code. Because the maximum LPD would be code-required, and because this LPD is less than the ASHRAE standard, the savings was allowed.  Here is the text of the CIR and subsequent ruling.

CIR submission:

We are performing energy modeling for [Seattle] Core & Shell ...projects according to the requirements for version 2.1 of the LEED-CS Rating System. Our question pertains to future tenant improvements for the lighting systems.

Since it is a tenant improvement, the future lighting system is not currently being designed. However, we propose that the lighting power densities in the Design Energy Cost model be set to Washington State Energy Code (WSEC) maximum allowable values. The tenants will have to meet the WSEC for the lighting design. Since these lighting levels are lower than those in ASHRAE 90.1-99, the building will see additional energy savings over the ASHRAE code.

The Energy Cost Budget will be modeled to ASHRAE 90.1-1999 following the space-by-space method. This approach will also keep from mixing and matching between ASHRAE and state code for the baseline model.

We believe that using the WSEC for the lighting design would be a reasonable approach. If the lighting design had been completed by the design group, the lighting levels would be less than or equal to the WSEC in order to be compliant. Therefore, the WSEC maximum lighting power density would represent the most conservative design to be installed after the tenant improvements are complete.

If our proposal is accepted, the following lighting power density values would be used:

Space Type           ECB        DEC

Retail                  1.9 W/sf    1.5 W/sf

Office-open plan        1.3 W/sf    1.0 W/sf

Main Floor Lobby        1.8 W/sf    1.2 W/sf

Other Elevator Lobbies  1.8 W/sf    0.8 W/sf

Draft RULING:

This is acceptable. The Core and Shell Energy Modeling Guidelines are developed with ASHRAE 90.1 as the referenced standard for both the Energy Cost Budget (ECB) and the Design Energy Cost (DEC) to ensure a minimum standard for the lighting power density in spaces that are outside of the control of the owner/developer. Because tenant buildout (not in the control of the owner/developer) will be required by local or regional regulations

..Tom

Thomas J. White, P.E.
Associate
Lead Engineer, Energy Services