[BLDG-SIM] ASHRAE 90.1-2004: BAseline DEsign Questions

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Thu Oct 19 08:51:46 PDT 2006

Virdi,

Concerning your first question, you are correct in your
understanding of 90.1-2004 Appendix G.

Jason

On 19 Oct 2006 at 11:46, Virdi Permana wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a newbie in Building Modeling and eQuest.
>
> Currently I am in the process of working in developing a
> baseline case.
>
> Question:
>
> 1. This is about Table G3.1, No.5, which is Building
> Envelope part of the requirement for calculating proposed
> and baseline building performance on ASHRAE 90.1-2004. Can
> anyone explain about point "b" in Baseline Building
> performance column? My understanding is as follow: It looks
> like what ever the proposed building is, the base line
> building will always consist of: a) Insulation entirely
> above deck type of roofs, b) Steel-framed type of
> above-grade walls, and c) Steel-joist type of floors. Can
> anyone please confirm if my understanding is correct or
> wrong?
>

> 2. This is about how to translate the requirement of Opaque
> elements from Table 5.5-1 to 5.5-8 of ASHRAE 90.1-2004 to
> Equest (Design Development Wizard: Shell component, windows
> 3 and 4). How do we use the value from the table 5.5 on
> Equest exactly? I am a little bit unclear about where I
> should plug in these values from this table on eQuest.
>
> For example:
>
> If we see Wizard screen 3 of 25, say Roof Surfaces part.
>
> My understanding is:
>
> Construction and Ext Finish/Color part, this data we get
> from the architecture drawing.
>
> On the other hand, does the value from the table 5.5 go
> straight to Exterior Insulation and Add'l Insulation part?
>

> Any answer you could provide is greatly appreciated.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Virdi Permana
>
> www.emsi-green.com

Jason Glazer, P.E.  jglazer AT gard DOT com  847 698 5686
GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
Admin of BLDG-SIM list for building simulation users