[BLDG-SIM] HERS, RESNET, Energy Star, etc. in Apartment Complexes

David R. Roberts droberts at archenergy.com
Wed Sep 20 06:02:40 PDT 2006

Alec:

EPA's Energy Star programs for new residential construction are split along
the same lines as the energy codes -- buildings 3-stories or less are in
one category, those 4 or more stories in another.

If the multi-family building falls into the former category, the Energy
Star standards are well established -- the Energy Star Qualified New Homes
Program -- and are the same as for single-family homes.  Details can be
found on EPA's website:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=new_homes.hm_index

The process involves getting the building tested/inspected/certified by a
RESNET-certified HERS Rater.  RESNET maintains a registry of certified
raters by state:
http://natresnet.org/programs/providers/directory.aspx

Unfortunately, the program is less mature for large multi-family buildings.
Over the past few years a Multifamily National Working Group has been
working w/ EPA to establish verification and labeling standards for Energy
Star.  A pilot program is currently underway.  I would recommend contacting
EPA directly for the latest on this new program -- or perhaps others on
this list have more insight.

--
David R. Roberts, P.E.
Senior Engineer

--On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:08 PM -0400 Alec Stevens