[BLDG-SIM] Active Chilled Beam Model

Graham & Megan hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 13 14:16:46 PDT 2006

Yes connect the OA system to the dummy zone and the IU or FC system (using
OA-FROM-SYSTEM) to the actual zones.

Provided you set your primary air volumes (the usual practice) then setting
the induction ratio very high (10 is the limit I think) is inconsequential
for a passive chilled beam system.  DOE-2.2 doesn't care about the amount of
induced air, it cares about the beam output.  I believe the zone coils /
beams will deliver the output needed regardless of the room to mean wate
temperature difference.

Thinking this through there are two ways to go about this depending on your
heating configuration:
1) Use the IU system only (no OA-FROM-SYSTEM) and use an outdoor air reset
schedule to ge the space humidity control you desire.  The optimal reset
schedule is very climate sensitive.  You will need to try a few and you may
need to bound the results using cooling from one and heating from another
... This configuration relies on zone heating (baseboards or other) to
maintain space temperatures and thus does not worry about cold primary air
potentially overcooling space sor creating drafts.

2) Where you want to control the zone supply temperature above a minimum,
and thus place more cooling load onto the beams, then you need to resort to
teh OA-FROM-SYSTEM I described.  In this case I have set the off-coil
temperature to a constant (conservative) rather than a floating off-coil in
response to the space humidity.  You can't do the latter without a dummy
building that closely mimics space sensible and latent loads.  I then
sometimes dump teh hourly results to a spreadsheet (coil temperatures and
outputs and zone humidity ratios) and calculate an adjustment to adjust the
cooling and reheat.

Regards,
Graham