[BLDG-SIM] LEED energy saving calculations for Industrial Facility

Yi Jiang yjiang_mit at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 13:16:49 PDT 2007

We are working on a LEED NC 2.2 project to predict
energy savings with eQuest for a 200,000 sf machinery
workshop facility.

One question we have is whether to include the process
loads in the workshop. We feel that it makes the most
sense to include the heat generated from the process
equipment as internal cooling load and treated by HVAC
systems. However, the electrical power specifically to
process equipment should not be included. For such a
machinery facility, the electrical power to process
equipment constitutes 50% of total electricity
consumption, and can significantly reduce the total
energy saving prediction by 10%. Has anyone has
experiences with such a industrial facility? Thanks

--Yi