[BLDG-SIM] ASHRAE 90.1 - window SHGC

D. Charlie Curcija curcija at ecs.umass.edu
Mon Apr 9 13:10:20 PDT 2007

Len,

I knew that I would touch sensitive subject.  Actually, we ran number of
different simulations using both DOE2 and EnergyPlus and in vast majority of
cases for commercial buildings low SHGC products use more energy in climate
zones 5 and above than comparable high solar gain products.  One of the
reasons that this may not have been the case when ASHRAE 90.1 ran scalar
studies, is that it used overly simplified methodology, embedded in a
spreadsheet, which assumes constant SHGC and U-factor.  We have shown (and
some others, like Jeff Haberl from ESL) that this oversimplification causes
errors upwards of 30%!   I have been pointing this to the 90.1 envelope
subcommittee for quite some time now, but it pretty much fell on deaf ears
and was ignored.

The contention that commercial buildings are internal load dominated and
that the heating load is not a factor, is a myth, which is easily verified
by looking at the DOE energy information agency data, where it is evident
that commercial buildings in United States use more energy for heating than
for cooling on a national level, which includes all climate zones, such as
1, 2, etc.  If the building stock uses more energy for heating than for
cooling when cooling climate zones are accounted for, it is easy to deduce
that they are using much more energy for heating than for cooling for
climate zones 5 and above.  If the argument is to reduce peak cooling load,
then there is some merit in using low solar gain products in the North, but
we should be very clear on this.

We have developed a new tool EFEN, which calculates energy use of commercial
buildings using EnergyPlus simulation engine, and we have interface to
WINDOW5 program, so this is all easily verified.  The program is currently
in Beta testing, so feel free to check it out at:
www.designbuildersoftware.com/efen.php.   The program provides parametric
analysis, so you can easily compare different options.

Regards,
Charlie

  _____