[BLDG-SIM] DOE2.1e HP HEAT-EIR-FPLR Problems

Xiaobing Liu XLiu at climatemaster.com
Wed Apr 4 09:23:06 PDT 2007

Chris:

In your message and data, It seems there are some misunderstandings about the EIR-FPLR used in the DOE-2 program. For heat pump application, which adjusts heating/cooling output by turning on and off the compressor, the value of EIR-FPLR is the actual heat pump run time during a hour. The definition of PLR is the ratio of heating/cooling demand to the heating/cooling capacity of the heat pump during a particular hour. In other word, PLR is the ideal heat pump run time without considering any cycling loss. Therefore, when PLR drops, the value of EIR-FPLR will also drop. Due to the cycling loss, the value of EIR-FPLR is usually larger than the PLR, which means the heat pump has to run a little longer to offset the cycling loss when providing required heating/cooling. The cycling loss of the heat pump can be determined from its Cycling Degradation factor (Cd), which is usually available from heat pump manufacturers.

BTW, If the fan power has been accounted for in the COP and the indoor fan of the heat pump will run continuously, you'd better subtract the effect of fan power when you converting COP to EIR. Otherwise, you may overestimate the fan energy consumption if you also specify a non-zero fan power in the simulation since you count the fan power twice by doing so.

Hope it helps,

Xiaobing