[BLDG-SIM] Green Insulation Materials

Kevin Lair klair at iastate.edu
Thu Aug 30 04:49:19 PDT 2007

This is a challenge. I don't find soy being that great of an solution given
soybeans are not the ideal crop for sustainability, and the protein used is
can be used for other things to make the foam. I think the best product is
straw products such as Stramit, but there are very limited options in the US.
Agriboard is a SIP panel with straw and is expensive upfront but will pay off
in overall savings. Again, these are probably not the solutions you are
looking for in this large commercial project either, but that is mostly what I
have come across.

I also don't care for foam in that it is not a product that promotes later
reuse of the materials, or a more dynamic interactive envelop. In the end, it
seems like it mostly a trade-off to just have good "green" by saving in
operation cost with good insulation and work for new products. If there are
better alternatives out there I would love to know as well.

Kevin Lair
(kslair at syr.edu)
Assistant Professor, School of Architecture
Syracuse University
350 W. Fayette Street
Syracuse, NY 13202

315 443 0298
c: 515 418 1903

> Does anyone know of any insulation materials that are particularly
> environmentally friendly in terms of embodied energy and life cycle
> cost?
>
> I am familiar with a soy-based spray foam and have heard of recycled
> denim insulation being used in residential projects, but this is for a
> large commercial project in which code requires flame retardant
> insulation.
>
> Any ideas on green insulation materials that could be used in commercial
> buildings?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Kendra Tupper
> LEED(r) AP
>  FLACK + KURTZ
> "Ensuring that today's built environment preserves
> the natural environment in which we all live."
> 405 Howard Street		415.398.3833 Main
> Suite 500			415.402.5840 Direct
> San Francisco, CA 94105		415.433.5311 Fax
> http://www.flackandkurtz.com	kendra.tupper at sf.fk.com
> P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
>
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
> If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in
> error)
> please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
> Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
> in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Kevin Lair

515 418 1903

Steering Committee GDRC(Green Design Research Collaborative)
http://gdrc.iastate.edu <http://gdrc.iastate.edu/>

Co-Founder DRC (Design Research Consortium)
http://cart.design.iastate.edu/drc/

Affiliate CBER (Center for Building Energy Research)
http://www3.me.iastate.edu/cber/

Co-founder and member AFHIowa (Architecture for Humanity Iowa)
http://afhiowa.org <http://afhiowa.org/>

Affiliate Center for Crops Utilization (CCUR)
http://www.ag.iastate.edu/centers/ccur/

Advisory Board Member Center on Sustainable Communities
http://www.icosc.com/

Principal Westbrook Design http://www.westbrookdesign.com
<http://www.westbrookdesign.com/>

Director Westbrook Artists Site (WAS)  http://www.westbrookartists.com
<http://www.westbrookartists.com/>

Board Member Ghana Education Project (GEP)
http://www.ghanaeducation.org/

Founder/Principal MOD-ECO Architecture http://www.mod-eco.net
<http://www.mod-eco.net/>