[BLDG-SIM] Using Trace700 for Modeling Mitsubishi City Multi VRV System

Meagan Pischel meagan.pischel at munroassoc.net
Fri Aug 10 11:48:26 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I have seen several posts come across asking which program to use to model
the Variable Refrigerant Volume system, but I am wondering if anyone has
tried to use Trace700 to do so.  I am coming up with results showing the new
VRV system is using more energy than the old system consisting of one window
AC unit (PTAC) and one electric baseboard heater per room (hotel room in
this case).  The baseline and design models are identical except for the
system type and I have checked that the heating and cooling loads for the
each are the same.

I checked with the program manufacturer (Trane) and it looks like I have the
correct inputs under the Create Systems and Create Plants tabs for the VRV
system.  I do not know if the unusual results are coming from the baseline
PTAC system or the design VRV system.  Does anyone have any advice on what
variables to check in either system?  I know that is a broad question and I
can provide specifics if needed.  This is the first time I have attempted to
use Trace700 for an energy model.

Thanks in advance.

--Meagan Pischel