[BLDG-SIM] Trouble with Heat Pumps (eQuest)

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:20:11 PDT 2007

I apologize for all the emails I've sent out as of late.  Thanks for all the
input.

I have another:

I'm comparing a ground source heat pump to a heat pump loop with chiller and
boiler.  Trouble is, when I switch systems, the energy used by the heat pump
to heat the space goes down only slightly as compared to the energy input by
the boiler.  My loop temperatures change between the systems (from heating
temp of 40 F to 70 F), and COP rises accordingly.  Right now the energy use
of the two systems is off by about 85%!!

Energy use for straight electric resistance heat is about the same as the
electric use for a heat pump system.  This is for a baseline model with 18%
evenly distributed windows, R-19 batt insulation, R-38 ceilings, etc.

I used the wizard to set up the equipment for all runs (I'm also having
trouble in detailed edit mode).  The water loop and the heat pump don't seem
to be talking to one another.  Can anyone help?

Karen Walkerman
Second Law Consulting
802-238-0980
kwalkerman at gmail.com