[BLDG-SIM] Addition including chiller, serving existing building CHW (Appendix G)

David S Eldridge DSE at grummanbutkus.com
Thu Aug 2 17:59:56 PDT 2007

The reverse of the CUP questions I guess...

Is there guidance for using Appendix G where a new addition will have a
chiller included, however the chiller will be sized to provide chilled
water for the new addition and also contribute to the chilled water load
of the existing building?

Would it be correct to use the design performance for the chiller but
only calculating the portion of the load that is included in the model?
i.e. develop my performance curves from the data provided, but the
modeled chiller will only be sized for the appropriate capacity for the
addition, excluding the existing facility?

Or should I treat the chiller as purchased chilled water?

In either case, the baseline building will have its own chiller plant,
per the standard.

Any suggestions are welcome!

David