[BLDG-SIM] Trouble with Heat Pumps (eQuest)

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:57:18 PDT 2007

Thanks for all the responses.  I think I figured it out:

When you choose "WLHP" in the eQuest Wizard, it creates a PVVT system with a
GSHP.  The curve used to adjust HIR is based on a few data points, and did
not perform very well at the temperatures I was using.  A straight HP system
selected in detailed edit mode did much better.  I now realize that this is
because the HIR curve was better for my purposes.  I have now created curves
based on the heat pumps spec'd for this job and the numbers are making more
sense.

Thanks again for all the repsonses, thought I'd let everyone know,
especially because PVVT is what is selected when you create a WLHP system
with the wizard, and may need some detailed data edit tweaking.

~Karen~

On 8/6/07, Brandon Nichols <BrandonN at hargis.biz> wrote:

>  Hello Karen,
>
> "When so many things can go wrong, almost certainly more than one of them
> will go wrong at the same time" ... or something like that, according to
> Murphy.  Recently I have been wrestling with a large heat pump system, and
> may be able to help a little.
>
> Have you adjusted your heat pomp efficiencies?  Ground and water source
> heat pumps will have different efficiencies, if for no other reason than
> they are operating with different condenser water temperatures.
>
> Check this post...
>

> http://elcca-exchange.blogspot.com/2007/03/ground-water-source-heat-pumps.html
>
> Next suspect, schedules... don't have a post for that yet, let me know the
> effect of efficiency adjustments and we'll go from there.
>
> Regards
>
>  Brandon Nichols, PE
> Mechanical
> *HARGIS ENGINEERS*