[BLDG-SIM] eQUEST- adding a roof

Lynn Qualmann LQualmann at sbwConsulting.com
Mon Aug 6 12:51:13 PDT 2007

Kathryn -

As a mattter of fact, I have had a very similar experience. Were you
careful in positioning the new roof (correct vertices, tilt, facing
direction, etc) to ensure it is positioned where you want it? You can
check to see if it's in the model by viewing the wireframe 3D model and
highlighting the subject roof in the components list (if it's not in the
components list, it's not in the model). eQuest's interpretation of your
intent should show up outlined in red. Even if it's located somewhere
between the 1st & 2nd floors, it should still model the roof properly
(except for the shading - both what it shades and what shades it) as
long as it is specified as an outside wall component with the correct
tilt and is associated with the appropriate space. If that space is a
plenum that can be considered open throughout, you could break the
plenum into multiple spaces, matching one to each area that has an
exposed roof, and put a roof on each such space. Interior air walls can
be used to effectively connect the plenums thermally if you feel that
would be important, however, I'm not sure whether that may hamper plenum
HVAC returns. I used the latter approach when modeling a non-orthogonal
building with different footprints on each floor - it seemed to work.

Hope this helps.

Lynn Qualmann

  _____