[BLDG-SIM] Building additions and shading

akram rosheidat rosheidat at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 07:09:44 PDT 2007

Paul

  You could also construct the shape of the existing building with "fixed  shades". This would simulate the shading accurately without having to  construct the whole existing building. The  walls in contact with the existing building should be designated  ADIABATIC as suggested in previous emails.

    Akram Rosheidat, Architect
    ASU Ph.D. Program

Paul Hay <phay at cwjamaica.com> wrote:              v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                              Kevin,

    I have interpreted the existing buildings to be perpendicular to  the addition.  If this is the case and the buildings at the ends of the  addition are large, they could produce significant shading on the addition  (especially if the exposed surfaces of the addition face north and south).   The problem is: how do you quantify this?  More than likely, you will have  to create a schedule to represent it if you don’t model the whole  building.

    Paul Hay
    Managing Partner
    PAUL HAY Consultants

    Strategic Facility Planning and Design Office Automation

    16 Edinburgh Avenue
    Kingston 10
    Jamaica, W.I.

    tel: 1 (876) 923-8882