[Bldg-sim] Water-to-Water Heat Pumps

Gerald Pde geraldpde at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 07:51:26 PST 2007

We are having difficulty in configuring a
water-to-water heat pump in eQUEST and was wondering
if someone can throw some light on the best possible
method to model these systems. We are working on a
couple of projects where chilled and hot water is
produced by a geothermal heat-pump (water-water HP)
which then supply chilled and hot water to various VAV
air-handling units in the building. The only way it
can be done in eQUEST is to model as a loop-to-loop
heat pump but the drawbacks are 1) we cannot configure
the ground loop HX as the only heat exchanger it
accepts is a lake/well, and 2) it is difficult to
specify cooling and heating performance separately. We
also don’t the basis on which the performance curves
for the loop-to-loop chiller are derived to be able to
configure a new system. We have been using the
climatemaster tool for water-to-air heat-pumps which
have been working great, but have always run into
problems with the water-to-water configuration.

Any advice on a better way to model these systems as
they seem to be more common now-a-days? or point us to
any resource that will help us resolve this problem.

Thanks,
Gerald