[Bldg-sim] energy recovery and zone setpoints

Corinne Benedek corinne.benedek at arup.com
Thu Dec 27 11:34:36 PST 2007

Hello All,

I have a question about the way eQuest / DOE 2.2 decided whether it
should be using the heating or cooling zone setpoint for a particular
hour.

I am modeling a PSZ system with energy recovery (enthalpy wheel with
mixed air reset and "modulate hx" capacity control) and am finding that
when I remove the energy recovery from the model, energy use decreases.
When I look at the hourly reports, there are a number of hours where the
"no erv" model is using a heating setpoint and the "erv" model is using
a cooling setpoint for the zone particularly in the winter.  Any ideas
about how this setpoint gets chosen and why the ERV would be affecting
it?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Corinne Benedek

Graduate Mechanical Engineer
LEED AP, EIT