[BLDG-SIM] Cold Storage Facility / LEED

Zoeteman, Mark R. mrzoeteman at FTCH.com
Wed Dec 5 06:14:59 PST 2007

Alec:
In 3/6/07 email from Gail Stranske, she reinforces what Marcus Sheffer
indicated in a prior email that exceptional calculation method is to be
used to show process energy savings:

The modeling approach you suggest for process loads would not comply
with the current requirements for LEED.  The 25% process load
requirement is set up as a minimum process load requirement to avoid
underreporting of process load energy usage ( i.e. an office building
reporting 0.25 W/sf of miscellaneous equipment).  However, all projects
are still expected to follow the Appendix G, Table G.3.1.12 requirements
for receptacles and process loads, stating that "these loads shall be
included when calculating the baseline building performance and proposed
building performance").  Unless LEED requirements change, If your
building is expected to consume 60% process energy, it should be modeled
with 60% process energy, and the Percentage Improvement should be
calculated with your projected actual process energy consumption
included in the energy results.  I would echo Marcus' recommendation
unless & until the EA TAG comes up with an alternate solution:

"In the mean time I would suggest that project teams strive to make all
building energy systems as energy efficient as possible and follow the
exceptional calculation method to show savings for process loads in the
LEED certification review process."
Best Regards,
Gail Stranske

Mark Zoeteman