[Bldg-sim] Equest: ERU with added heat and vfd's

Fred Porter FPorter at archenergy.com
Fri Dec 14 12:29:35 PST 2007

Folks;
Whatever else maybe wrong or right with these approaches, eQ/DOE-2.2 cannot generally correctly model energy recovery in the OA-FROM-SYS.  This is because the exhaust/return air to the OA-FROM-SYS in a DOE-2 model is NOT from the occupied spaces, it is from the dummy/duct zone, which should never be at the room/return air conditions in either the model or reality. (It will usually be substantially cooler.) Too bad, because many real DOAS systems, (which would appear to be best represented with DOE-2's OA-FROM-SYS) include heat recovery and pre-conditioning.

Anyone know if any of the other "typical" simulation programs (TRACE, E+) represent a DOAS supplying zonal HVAC more correctly? Obviously one could model them in TRNSYS, and IES-VE.

Fred Porter
AEC

P.S. I did actually once whip up a convoluted DOE-2.2 "workaround" for this arrangement. But I will not post it here because it really does not qualify as "simulation;" calling it a brittle kludge would be charitable.

>>> "Kevin Kyte" <kkyte at robsonwoese.com> 12/14/2007 11:59 AM >>>

I am attempting to model an energy recovery unit (ERU) supplying outside air
for 5 air handling units (AHUs).  I have attempted to do this thus far by
making the ERU a separate system PSZ with dumbo zone and the AHUs use ERU
for OA-FROM-SYSTEM.

The problem lies within energy recovery capacities, the ERV report
capacities are nowhere near as high as the designed energy recovered so the
coiling coil is undersized and I am getting a lot of inadequate cooling
capability warnings.  The ERU has an additional gas furnace but no
additional cooling.

This is where I may be getting it mixed up because I set the
COOLING-SCHEDULE flagged to off for the entire year and I end up with no
energy recover on the cooling side.  Even if I were to change the ERU to
type PVAVS or SZRH it shows minimal or no recovery.  How should I schedule
cooling?

Are any other parameters that I may be missing, I have included the enthalpy
wheel effectiveness and a control sequence.  How about humidity controls?
Since this suppose to be a LEED certified building will ECMs be necessary?
Or should I go back to doing individual heat recovery for each AHU?  So many
questions.

Kevin