[BLDG-SIM] eQuest 100% OSA Runaround Heat Recovery

Brandon Nichols BrandonN at Hargis.biz
Wed Feb 28 14:06:46 PST 2007

Thanks Steve,

Describing the last problem became strangely convoluted, so let me see
if I can simplify:

Baseline:
* Two 40,000 CFM air handlers with DX cooling and hot water heating
* Supply & return static 5.5" and 2.5" respectively

Parametric:
* A runaround heat recovery circuit for each; pumped glycol with two
8-row coils
* Heat recovery coils in outside and exhaust air streams continuously
(no bypass)
* Heat recovery coils have pressure drop of 1/2" each; additional
allowance for filters not required

So, my simplified question is:  In the parametric run for the above
system, should supply & return statics 1) be set to 6" and 3"
respectively and ERV pressure drops zeroed out, or 2) should the ERV
pressure drops be set to 1/2" and the supply and return statics left
as-is?

My thinking is that scenario 1 is a better approach for this
application, given the in-line runaround circuit configuration.

All of this to me segues into two more questions:

1) Does setting ERV-MOTOR-CLASS to PREMIUM while ERV-FANS are set to
HVAC-SUPPLY/RETURN improve the main air handler motor efficiency
regardless of whether the ERV function is engaged or not?

2) For other motors in the project that we would like to specify as
premium efficiency, are high- and premium-efficiency motor curves built
into the program?  We briefly looked in the library, but didn't see
them.  If not, are they perhaps available somewhere online?

Thanks very much in advance...

Brandon Nichols

Parametric BDL for Scenario #1
Heat Recovery  coils inline with air handler, no bypass:

   RECOVER-EXHAUST  = YES
   SUPPLY-STATIC    = 6
   RETURN-STATIC    = 3
   ERV-RECOVER-TYPE = SENSIBLE-HX
   ERV-RUN-CTRL     = OA-EXHAUST-DT
   ERV-RECOVER-MODE = OA-HEAT/COOL
   ERV-TEMP-CTRL    = FLOAT
   ERV-CAP-CTRL     = MODULATE-HX
   ERV-FANS         = HVAC-SUPPLY/RETURN
   ERV-MOTOR-CLASS  = PREMIUM
   ERV-OA-STATIC    = 0
   ERV-EXH-STATIC   = 0
   ERV-FROST-CTRL   = USE-CAP-CTRL
   ..

Parametric BDL for s Scenario #2
Heat recovery coils in separate ERV /w separate fans:

   RECOVER-EXHAUST  = YES
   SUPPLY-STATIC    = 6
   RETURN-STATIC    = 3
   ERV-RECOVER-TYPE = SENSIBLE-HX