[BLDG-SIM] Energy Tax Credits

Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV
Wed Feb 28 13:05:32 PST 2007

One correction...  there are indeed two paths for getting a tax
deduction of up to $0.60/ft2 for lighting systems:

1. 'Interim Lighting Rule' -- simple reduction of lighting power
density as per the IRS Notice.

2. At least 16-2/3% savings of the lighting, heating, cooling, and
hot water energy and power costs---not the whole building energy.

In both cases, the IRS says that you must use software to show that
the building qualifies.

For the energy savings calculations, this requires using one of the
qualified
software programs listed on the DOE web site:
http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/info/qualified_software/
(These are ones that have submitted the complete information required by
the IRS Notice.)

We are working with the IRS to extend the definition of 'qualified
software' for
the interim lighting rule to allow programs that automatically calculate
the
90.1-2001 lighting power density to be used.

NREL published modeling and inspection guidelines for  the tax deductions
late last week:   http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy07osti/40228.pdf

                      "Lee Shawn"
                      <slee at beardsley.com      To: BLDG-SIM at gard.com
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [BLDG-SIM] Energy Tax Credits
                      BLDG-SIM at gard.com

                      02/28/2007 03:40 PM
                      Please respond to
                      slee

Mike,

There are two ways to do the light energy saving right now.  One is based
on the whole building energy and power cost; you must reach 16-2/3 % saving
based on the whole building.  Another way is based on light design
prescription per ASHRAE 90.1-2001; you must reach 30% ~ 50% saving based on
ASHRAE.  See IRS Notice 2006-52 from its web site for detail.

Shawn Lee, P.E.
Beardsley Design Associates
64 South Street
Auburn, NY 13021