[BLDG-SIM] I've got a GOOD eQuest question..

Lynn Qualmann LQualmann at sbwConsulting.com
Wed Feb 21 20:27:09 PST 2007

John -

It sounds like the plenums are associated with the systems serving the
respective floor areas (the eQuest default as far as I can tell). If you
look down the page, all the parameters associated with the plenum zones
(SUPPLY FLOW, EXHAUST FLOW, etc) should be zero, so they aren't
affecting the energy consumption of the system. I am assuming you
divided the building into two equal-area wings, so adding the true floor
area and the associated plenum's area coincides with the building's
total floor area. I don't think there is any problem with removing the
plenum zones from the existing systems and associating them with a new
system (SYSTEM-TYPE = SUM). My understanding is that this system type
doesn't address any loads but is used for diagnostics. Then the square
footage for your systems should be the expected 40,000 sqft each in
SV-A. Hope this halps.
R. Lynn Qualmann, P.E.
SBW Consulting, Inc.
2820 Northup Way    #230