[bldg-sim] how much cold air infiltration can I really expect?

Dahlstrom, Aaron ADahlstrom at AKF-ENG.com
Wed Jan 31 18:29:12 PST 2007

I have noticed that infiltration makes up most of the winter heating
load for several high-bay single-story commercial buildings I'm
modeling. (big-box retailer, light manufacturing facility)

I've used a variety of methods - ACH estimates, CFM / so of facade (per
ASHRAE F27.10), and Area(crack) x Velocity(winter wind) - to estimate
infiltration.

Have other people stuck with these methods? Or does anyone know of
better ways to estimate infiltration?

Aaron Dahlstrom
AKF Engineers, LLP
1500 Walnut Street, Suite 1400