[bldg-sim] passive solar simulation

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Tue Jan 30 13:56:31 PST 2007

Mike:

Check out NREL's SUNREL (formerly SERI-RES) for modeling advanced
passive energy features such as rock bins, phase change materials, and
advanced infiltration/natural ventilation algorithms. There are some
papers published by NREL regarding the natural ventilation/infiltration
schemes - (Google SUNREL & PDF). The SUNREL engine is an multizone
hourly energy modeling program that accepts TMY annual weather files and
can calculate the hourly heating and cooling  loads. The SUNREL engine
inputs takes ascii text input files. - It's a powerful residential
energy modeling engine.

DISCLAIMER - the company I work for, Performance Systems Development,
has developed the only commercial front end for SUN-REL that I am aware
of - the software is called "TREAT". Check out www.treatsoftware.com for
functionality.

Have fun - Chris

Chris Balbach, P.E., LEED AP