[BLDG-SIM] Simulations Insensitive to Glass Changes

Brandon Nichols BrandonN at Hargis.biz
Mon Jul 23 14:09:45 PDT 2007

All,

I have a 3-story historic building, with circa-1920's windows on all
four exposures.  Big, beautiful, clear-glass single-pane architectural
masterpieces.  So while doing an optimization study, it became apparent
to me that substantially changing the U-value and infiltration
coefficients was having very little effect at all on the loads.

For example, varying the U-value from 1.27 to 0.55, 0.45 and at last
0.30 in the parametric runs using the 'simplified method' produced a
0.5% total (over all runs) change in the total energy consumption.
Selecting representative glass types using the 'library method' produced
essentially equivalent.  Superimposing upon either of these a change in
the infiltration coefficient from 1/4" to 1/8" to 1/16" to 1/32"
produced no additional effect at all (the INF-METHOD = CRACK keyword is
specified) on the annual energy consumption.

Lastly, I changed the baseline glass to "unglazed opening", again with a
mystifying zero net effect on the overall energy consumption.  It's as
if the glass is not being calculated at all, but I see no errors or
warnings in the SIM file.

Anyone have an idea on how to debug this?

Thanks in advance...

Brandon Nichols, PE
Mechanical
HARGIS ENGINEERS