[BLDG-SIM] loop to loop HP

Aleka Pappas apappas.enermodal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:43:50 PDT 2007

Karen,
I just modeled a similar system in eQuest.  The central loop to loop heat
pump worked out pretty well for me.  You have to set up the model (with all
the necessary loops and pumps) in the detailed mode in eQuest.  I ran into a
few quirks....I've been meaning to send them on to Jeff, but I'll just post
them here instead.  They are only interface issues.

   - When creating a second HP type chiller by copying my first one, it
   asks me to create a new pump.  After I create that pump it never lets
   me out of the 'Required Chiller Data' dialogue box.  I ended up having
   to close eQuest with the task manager and couldn't save my file.

   - When creating a HP chiller from scratch, eQuest asks for a CHW loop,
   HW loop, and CW loop.  The CW loop must be a lake/well loop but that
   isn't one of the options you're given to create.  It's possible to get
   through this issue without things crashing, but it involved randomly
   clicking on cancel a half-dozen times.

   - When I try to change the pump 'motor class' and 'capacity control'
   in the spreadsheet tab, I get errors.

The other thing that it sounds like you'll run into is that you can't put a
boiler on the same loop as your heat pump.  I had to create a separate HW
loop to model back-up energy use from a boiler for the building I was
modeling.  I modeled the radiant system as induction units with fan power
set to zero.

Good luck,
Aleka

Hi All,

I have a question regarding eQuest:

I'm modeling a house that will use a ground source heat pump with boiler
backup as a heat source.  The heat pumps will heat water that is circulated
through radiant tubing in the floor.  Is a loop-to-loop heat pump a good way
to model this?  I've done some research on it, but am not sure whether this
can be modeled in eQuest either in the wizards or parametric runs without
changing the BDL file directly.

How are my options for modeling cooling systems limited with the heating
system described above?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,

~Karen~