[BLDG-SIM] Same COP, different chiller, big increase in cooling loads

Kevin Burke kevin.burke at arup.com
Tue Jul 17 02:17:40 PDT 2007

Dear All,

Recently I requested help (and got it, thank you very much) with regard to the heating and cooling demand of a 20 sqm zone representing a room in a building with one façade fully glazed and a fan coil unit specified. After consideration it was concluded that the heating demand calculated with eQuest was reasonable however the cooling demand was very very small. The chiller chosen was an electric-hermetic-reciprocating chiller (at random because I didn't know any better) with an EIR of 0.25 (COP=4.0) and after a long time investigating I changed the chiller to a electric-hermetic-centrifugal chiller and kept the EIR at 0.25. This resulted in the cooling load quadrupling! Does anybody know why this should be the case when every other parameter remained the same?

Kevin Burke