[BLDG-SIM] energy consumption of low-E glazing , why the cooling energy increases

nicole chen cloris.chen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 22:43:51 PDT 2007

Dear all

I have tried to compare the energy consumption between two different glass
types and got a curious result. The parameters of these two glasses are
listed below:

1) Coated U=2.5 SC=0.45
2) low-e U=1.76 SC=0.44

I thought the energy consumption of Glass Type II would be lower than that
of Glass Type I . But the result is the cooling energy of Glass Type II is
higher than  that of Glass Type I , and the heating energy lower than that
of Glass Type I.

I have no idea of this. And I checked LS-F/ SS-D / BEPS and found some
points listed below

1) in LS-F annual sensible  cooling load of Glass Type II is lower than that
of Glass Type I , latent cooling load of Glass Type II is higher. The total
annual cooling load of Glass Type II is a little higher

2) in SS-D monthly cooling energy of Glass Type II is  higher

3) dencity and schedule of occupancy /lighting /euqipment are the same in
the two models , but cooling load and heating load due to these indoor
factors are different , why?

4) monthly schedule of occupancy /lighting /euqipment  is all the same
during the year, but cooling load and heating load due to these indoor
factors are different every month, why?

--
Yours
Nicole Chen