[BLDG-SIM] Loads not met interpretation in ASHRAE 90.1-2004

Taylor, Russell D UTRC TaylorRD at utrc.utc.com
Tue Jul 10 13:08:31 PDT 2007

In DOE2.1E and in DOE2.2/eQuest, you can view the number of unmet loads
hours on a zone-by-zone basis in the SS-F report. This reports the
number of hours that the zone loads were not met broken down by month
and by category (i.e. heating or cooling).

In addition, the BEPU report gives you the total of unmet loads hours as
a percentage for the system simulation and the central plant simulation.
Be aware that the system unmet loads fraction can be misleading as it is
the number of zone loads not met by the system summed over all the
zones. Therefore, if one zone has unmet loads for 8760 hours then the
fraction will be reported as 100% even if all the other zones have zero
unmet loads.

With regard to the loads not met by the plant in the BEPU report, if
these occur at the same time as an unmet system load there will be
double counting of loads not met by the simulation.

My own view is that the Appendix G definition of unmet loads unfairly
penalises simulations with large numbers of zones. For example, in a 10
zone simulation, each zone would need to have 30 hours with unmet loads
to reach the 300 hour limit. But in a simulation with 100 zones each
zone would only need 3 hours of unmet loads to reach 300 unmet loads
hours.

If I were to rewrite the relevant section of Appendix G to correct this
problem I would multiply the number of hours of unmet load for each zone
by that zone's fraction of building floor area. This would normalise the
measurement of unmet loads to the size of the building and the number of
zones in the simulation so that the maximum possible percentage of unmet
loads would be 100%.

_______

Russell D Taylor, Ph.D.
UTRC | 411 Silver Lane, MS 129-85 | East Hartford, CT 06108 | Ph: (860)
610-7485
_______