[BLDG-SIM] Follow up Elevator Question

Graham Carter & Megan Lyall hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jul 4 04:38:16 PDT 2007

While elevator energy use is somewhat a function of installed
connected load it is all a function of how people move through the
building.  Vertical transporartion is by far the most uncertain base
building energy end use in office buildings.

We have seen a wide variation in energy use on a m2 NLA pa basis.  On
the low end a government building with small floorplates and tenants
who tend not to move around the building vertically other than to eat
and go to and from work could be around 2 kWh/m2 NLA pa.  On the high
end a CBD location with small floorplates and a tenant who is
externally focussed (i.e. has clients / customers regularly coming
and going) with the coffee shop at ground level could be 10 kWh/m2
NLA pa or more.  I have heard of buildings with older control gear
and drives that can use far more than this.

Our Lend Lease headquarters at 30 The Bond in Sydney has open
staircases that we use to go 2-3 floors up or down.  Most people walk
to work and arrive at the L4 entrance and thus rarely use the lifts.
As a result while we meet a lot and have a lot of visitors our lift
energy use is actually very low.

Richard Peters in the UK and others have been doing a lot of research
into predicting lift energy use - interesting stuff.  Some of the
lift manufacturers have software now that they will either use in a
consultancy role or license to consultants to allow annual energy sue
to be estimated from lift simulations and empirical data of how
people typically move through buildings.

Regards,
Graham