[BLDG-SIM] Modeling a pool in eQuest [mistake in 1st email]

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Tue Jul 31 08:51:44 PDT 2007

The Canadian pool tool referred to (I believe) is Enerpool – available
at:
http://www.canren.gc.ca/dtt/index.cfm

It models indoor & outdoor pools with / without solar blankets, solar
collectors & auxillary heaters.  It uses TMY weather data (supplied
for some US & Canadian sites depending on which version you download).
Pool area air temperature, humidity and ventilation rate are constant
for all hours of the simulation and there is no accounting of the
energy to condition the pool area air.

For interest the hourly outputs available (is SI) are:

HOURLY PRINTOUTS: ENERGIES
Passive Gain                          "QPass"     [J]   : -
Active Gain                           "QAct"      [J]   : -
Auxiliary Gain                        "QAux"      [J]   : -
Total Gain                            "QGain"     [J]   : -
Evaporative Losses                    "QEvap"     [J]   : -
Convective Losses                     "QConv"     [J]   : -
Conductive Losses                     "QCond"     [J]   : -
Radiative Losses                      "QRad"      [J]   : -
Side Losses                           "QSide"     [J]   : -
Spill and Makeup Losses               "QMakeup"   [J]   : -
Total Losses                          "QLoss"     [J]   : -
Residual Energy Gain                  "QRes"      [J]   : -
Available Solar Energy                "QInc"      [J]   : -
Solar Energy Collected                "QColl"     [J]   : -
Energy Lost through Piping            "QPipes"    [J]   : -
Energy Gain from Pumps                "QPumps"    [J]   : -

HOURLY PRINTOUTS: POOL
Pool Temperature                      "TPool"     [C]   : -
Mains Temperature                     "TMains"    [C]   : -
Makeup Water                          "MdotMakeup"[kg/s]: -
Soil Temperature around Pool          "TSoilPool" [C]   : -

HOURLY PRINTOUTS: WEATHER

Global Horizontal Irradiance          "HGlo"      [W/m2]: -
Ambient Dry Bulb Temperature          "TAmb"      [C]   : -
Ambient Relative Humidity             "RelHum"    [0-1] : -
Ambient Wind Speed                    "VWind"     [m/s] : -
Pool Direct Horizontal Irradiance     "HDirPool"  [W/m2]: -
Pool Diffuse Horizontal Irradiance    "HDifPool"  [W/m2]: -
Pool Dry Bulb Temperature             "TAmbPool"  [C]   : -
Pool Relative Humidity                "RelHumPool"[0-1] : -
Pool Wind Speed                       "VWindPool" [m/s] : -
Sky Temperature                       "TSky"      [C]   : -

HOURLY PRINTOUTS: COLLECTORS/PIPES/HEAT EXCHANGER
Collector Inlet Temperature           "Tci"       [C]   : -
Collector Outlet/Plate Temperature    "Tco"       [C]   : -
Collector Flow Rate                   "MdotColl"  [kg/s]: -
Inlet Pipe Input Temperature          "TPipeIn"   [C]   : -
Outlet Pipe Output Temperature        "TPipeOut"  [C]   : -
Temperature of Soil around Pipes      "TSoilPipe" [C]   : -
Exch. Temperature Out, Cold Side      "TXColdOut" [C]   : -
Exch. Temperature Out, Hot Side       "TXHotOut"  [C]   : -
Exch. Flow Rate                       "MdotExch"  [kg/s]: -

HOURLY PRINTOUTS: CONTROLS
Activity Level in Pool                "Activity"  [0-2] : -
Blanket On                            "BlanketOn" [0/1] : -
Collector On                          "CollOn"    [0/1] : -
Auxiliary Heater On                   "AuxOn"     [0/1] : -

I have not tried feeding these inputs back into eQUEST – although it
sounds like fun.

Bonne chance.

Brian Fountain