[BLDG-SIM] eQUEST Economizer Question

Matt Edwards medwards at aeieng.com
Fri Jun 29 05:49:55 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am using eQUEST to model an Lab/Office building with Standard VAV
w/Reheat system type throughout.  The office spaces are isolated on a
single VAV system, and one option I am adding by parametric run is an OA
Temp economizer strategy.  The supply air temperature set point
(COOL-SET-T) is held constant at 55, and the maximum system level
heating is also held to 55 degrees (HEAT-SET-T).  What I'm noticing is
that there is a significant heating increase with the addition of an
economizer when OA-CONTROL is the only variable.  This heating increase
is outweighing any significant cooling or electricity savings resulting
in an energy penalty.  I had hoped that the economizer would only mix
outside air with return air to maintain the 55 degree supply air
temperature from the unit.  Are there additional measures necessary to
clearly define economizer control to prevent a heating increase, or is
there a better way to define economizer control altogether?

Thanks,

Matt Edwards LEED ® AP
Mechanical Systems | Affiliated Engineers, Inc
5802 Research Park Blvd
Madison, WI 53719

Phone: (608) 236-1154 (direct)
Fax: (608) 238-2614