[BLDG-SIM] Energy Modeling Software for Conceptual Design

Struck, C. C.Struck at tue.nl
Mon Jun 25 02:25:46 PDT 2007

Dear Robert,

As you started the discussion I address my contribution to you.

You mention the need to: "evaluate the effects of building orientation,
form, fenestrations as well as insulation values, mechanical systems,
lighting, etc." That makes me think of the very early design stages.
(Please correct me here if I am wrong!)

When I assume that little design information is available during the
conceptual design stage developing and evaluating integrated concepts is
particularly difficult.

Too detailed design analysis tools (DDAT) are not supportive under those
circumstances as you need to make and fill in cross-disciplinary design
assumption!

Those issues have been recognized before leading to the development of
conceptual design analysis tools (CDAT), which aim to limit the amount
of input detail. Examples are:

1. MIT Design Advisor (http://designadvisor.mit.edu/design/), as
mentioned by Leon Glicksberg before;

2. h.e.n.k. (http://www.vabi.nl/uploads/tx_userproducten/henk_info.pdf),
Dutch Language; and

3. Energy 10 (http://www.wbdg.org/tools/e10.php).

One capability those tools are lacking is interoperability. It is not
difficult to image that having decided for one concept, after the
evaluation of many, you would want to add detail following the design
progress. To my knowledge, the three tools mentioned above do not allow
you to export and re-use the building models with DDAT's.

That is why; I personally, find the latest developments with Energy+
(http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/) particularly
interesting. A web based input file generator has been developed that
works with different levels of input detail, from basic to fully
parameterized. The "alternative" interface to Energy+ (E+) uses one to
many relationships for automating the input!

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Christian

------------------------
EUR ING Christian Struck
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) VDI

Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
Department of Architecture Building and Planning

Den Dolech 2
P.O. Box 513
5600MB Eindhoven/ Netherlands

T:   0031 (0)40 247 5790