[BLDG-SIM] Fan Power VAV in eQuest

Andrew Craig andrew_c at ieice.com
Thu Jun 28 14:01:13 PDT 2007

Jim---

According to a DOE system description I have for the PIU...

"The Powered Induction Unit System is identical to the VAVS except that
the PIU system uses local fans in some or all of its variable-air volume
terminal units (usually perimeter zones) to draw secondary air directly
from the return plenum."

So long story short, by selecting the PIU system, you are still modeling
a VAV system, DOE has just named it differently when adding the ability
to include fan-powered boxes.  If anyone out there has contrary
information, please share, as this is a widely accepted method for
modeling fan-powered VAV systems.

Regards,

Andrew Craig, EIT, LEED(r) AP | Mechanical Designer

INTERFACE ENGINEERING

708 SW Third Avenue | Suite 400 | Portland, OR 97204

direct: 503.382.2696

office: 503.382.2266

fax: 503.382.2262

email: Andrew_C at ieice.com

web: www.ieice.com

Consultants of Choice to the Built Environment for over 35 years

Kirkland, WA | Portland, OR | Sacramento, CA | Salem, OR | SanFrancisco,
CA