[BLDG-SIM] Energy Modeling Software Recommendations for Architects

Varkie Thomas thomasv at iit.edu
Sat Jun 23 09:59:04 PDT 2007

Both eQUEST (eQ) and VisualDOE4 (VD4) are suitable for architects since they can build the building model of zones and envelope graphically.  Architects can use the default values, based on building type, for systems & plant.  IIT-Chicago recently held 2-day seminars for eQ and VD4 from May 21 thru May 24.  In my opinion VD4 is easier to learn and use (quickly, knowledgeably and correctly) compared to eQ.   eQ does a better job of building the architectural model by importing “.dwg” files whereas VD4 has limited capabilities using “.dxf” files but does the DOE2.1E modeling completely.  Not all of eQ’s graphical building model construction features are documented which is an obstacle for first time users.
Both programs should also offer the alternative of creating the building model (envelope and zones) with forms similar to the present versions of TRACE and HAP.  DOE2 input was designed this way.  Coordinates are required only for day-lighting and externally generated shadows.  The spreadsheets created by eQ (and TRACE) are useful for checking and revising by comparing records.  Global replace (like Excel) in eQ is not possible but it can be made in the “.inp” file as with all DOE2 interface programs such as VD4 and EnergyPro.
eQ should allow the user to name the zones (and the surface naming system can be by eQ based on this) when creating them graphically.  The azimuth based naming system (zones should use the names on the architectural drawings) by eQ are difficult to identify and does not change when the building is rotated thru N, E, S & W.  Another limitation of eQ is that, once changes are made in the detailed edit mode, it is not possible to go back to the wizard and make architectural changes again.
I recently tried to create an eQ model of a large DOE2.1E project file.  The numerous assumptions made by the eQ wizard are a nuisance.  I had to make changes through the forms and spreadsheets to match the numbers in DOE2.1E, and then made the mistake of going back to the wizard to make architectural changes.  Hours of effort just disappeared.  On a real project architects are always making changes during the course of the project.  The eQ default assumptions might be useful to architects who are only interested in the building model but have to complete the systems, plant and economics to see the bottom line results of energy savings.
Showing energy code compliance and energy savings for LEED are dependent on computer programs, the way computer programs are used, and on the energy engineering competence level of the people using the programs.  Besides certifying energy programs, program developers should document how to use their programs for different energy conservation options and have the procedures certified.  Building energy analysts submitting projects for code compliance and LEED should also be certified.  The DOE2.1E still appears to be the standard reference energy analysis program in North America and programs by other vendors (IESVE) might have to be checked against it.
The eQ seminar in May was sold out but VD4 had limited attendance.  I think the VD4 interface is an excellent program because of the way it is organized – simple and obvious especially to previous DOE2.1E users.  The learning curve is short.  Would there be interest in a 3-day VD4 training seminar from Aug 13 thru 15 that emphasized LEED certification issues?
The proposed seminar could also include 1.5 hours per day in the use of DOE2.1E directly using templates of project case studies demonstrating the energy cost savings for different combinations and operations of systems & plant for different types and formats of utility rates (ComEd, ConEd, PG&E, etc)?  The DOE2 training would include creating “.bin” weather data from raw NCDC data, generating weather tables, charts, HDD/CDD etc., from the “.bin” files, transferring hourly Fortran variable output data to Excel and performing additional analysis for MRT, PV, CC condensate recovery, etc.
V. Thomas