[BLDG-SIM] eQuest DHW Tank HIR

tim altengineer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:52:04 PDT 2007

Utilizng eQuest, under the DHW Equipment tab in wizard mode, the user can
enter the usual characteristics: storage capacity, hot water usage, supply
temp, input rating, etc.

If you click on the DHW icon under the water-side HVAC tab you will see a
default HIR number under "equipment eficiency" for the tank, it seems always
to be 1.37 (~73% efficiency).  Oddly, this number does not appear in the
input file. though you can change it in Parametric Runs to examine different
DHW efficiencies. Question:

-Gas water heaters are typically rated with an EF, and Energy Factor,
essentially an efficiency rating.  However, this number is usually between
.5 and .7, with most being around .6--(This would translate to an HIR of
1.67).
Does anyone know the relationship b/w eQuest's HIR and actual models EF?  In
order to compare different models of water heaters, should I make this HIR
equal to the EF of the current model and then chane the number for newer
more efficent models? Or I wonder if the manufacturer-rated EF includes
standby/tank UA losses and that is why it is lower than the HIR in eQuest,
wh/ is separate from the standby loss calc.

Any thoughts/experience would be great..

thanks
tim