[BLDG-SIM] Preventing Rain Entrainment into roof opening

Ian Doebber Ian.Doebber at arup.com
Mon Mar 19 16:59:23 PDT 2007

We have operable skylights on top of the roof that exhaust the indoor
air from a large naturally ventilated space.  We want to minimize the
number of hours to close the skylights due to rain.

We have used buoyancy driving flows to calculate that the exit velocity
through the clam shell opening range from 50 to 100 fpm.  Is there a
standard or research, possible from stack flue design, that states what
exit velocities will prevent rain entrainment.  The building is in San
Francisco so the rain is not torrential downpour.

Thanks

Ian