[BLDG-SIM] Passive Chilled Beam Model with Dummy OA zone of SZRH

Vickie Chen Vickie.Chen at arup.com.au
Mon Mar 12 18:34:33 PDT 2007

Hi all

I am using eQuest to try to model a Passive Chilled Beam system using a
Dummy OA zone of SZRH and Fan Coil Units in the zones.
I specified the Dummy zone for only OA treatment without any internal
loads, and set COOL-CONTROL as CONSTANT,
COOL-SET-T as 59 oF(15oC). Because CB won't kick in untill the room
temperature is above 15oC with AHU.
There is one AHU for the Dummy zone.
Then for all the actual zones, I specified FC with OA-FROM-SYSTEM as
dummy zone.
There is a sparated loop (chilled water temperature of 14oC supply and
17oC return) defined for the FC.
As my understanding you can remove the Fan energy of FC then the energy
consumption of FC will represent the actual loads for passive chilled
beam. And the Dummy OA zone of SZRH will deal with constant OA load.
Am I right, anything I missed for the assuption.
My problems are:
1) warning message in SIM file saying "Preheat/heating-capacity is too
low to provide the requested supply temperature for the
   calculated mixed air temperature...". Although I used auto sizing for
the heating capacity.
2) What is the different impact if I specify the actual zones as FC from
IU.
3) I did some test runs of FC and IU. The results indicated heating
energy consumption of IU was 10 times as FC.
4) The test run of passive chilled beam shows the cooling and heat
rejection energy goes 50%, pump goes 25% up
    than the conventional VAV. And Fan became only 20% of the
conventional VAV.
    The result is quite different from my expectation and some
reference. I am expecting similar cooling and heat rejection figure but
    apporx 150% of pump, 50% of fan energy than the conventional VAV.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,
Vickie