[BLDG-SIM] What constitutes a floor for 90.1? - clarification

Lynn Qualmann LQualmann at sbwConsulting.com
Thu May 31 15:01:38 PDT 2007

My original message (below) may be misleading - the mail room is part of
a larger, seldom-occupied basement (~10% of total floor area) that
includes some parking and mechanical/electrical rooms.

My apologies for any confusion.

  _____

From: Lynn Qualmann
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:07 PM
To: BLDGSIM (bldg-sim at gard.com)
Subject: What constitutes a floor for 90.1?

To Whomever may be able to shed some light -

I am modeling a non-res building <75,000 sqft for LEED certification. It
has 3 above-grade floors and a basement with a small (~0.4% of total
building floor area), normally-occupied mail room. The number of floors
influences the baseline HVAC system according to 90.1, but 90.1
specifically excludes basements under its definition of a story. Table
3.1.1A of Appendix G, which designates the baseline HVAC system types,
refers to the number of floors as one of the determinants of the
baseline HVAC system. The definition of a floor in 90.1 does not so
clearly address basements. My question is whether this should be
considered a 3- or 4-floor building? My sense is that it should be
considered 3, but I would like to get some verification if any is
available.

Thanks in advance.

R. Lynn Qualmann, P.E.
SBW Consulting, Inc.

****E-Mail Disclaimer****  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender at once.  Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. SBW Consulting.