[BLDG-SIM] CHP and LEED

Chris Jones cj at cr-jay.ca
Wed May 23 07:00:37 PDT 2007

I am modelling a design with cogen for electricity, absorption
cooling, space heat, domestic hot water.  I have read through the
"CHP Calculation Methodology for LEED-NC v2.2 EA Credit 1" paper and
I am not sure how to model the Baseline case for EA Credit 1.  It
sounds like the Baseline case does get the same CHP system: "The
Baseline Building heating and cooling plant utilizes the backup
energy source(s) of the Design, or electricity if no backup source is
present or specified." for Case 1 as is with my Design case.  I think
that the cooling in the Baseline case would not make use of excess
heat (absorption cooling).  Would the Baseline make use of excess heat for DHW?

Chris Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465