[BLDG-SIM] Soil properties

Deru, Michael Michael_Deru at nrel.gov
Mon May 21 09:28:58 PDT 2007

Jannes,

Soil thermal properties are very much a function of the soil moisture
content, which makes it a little difficult to assign constant values to
the properties.  However, that is what we have to do without solving the
heat and moisture transfer problems simultaneously.  I did a comparison
between a heat transfer model and a heat and moisture transfer model for
my disseration.  You can get reasonable results with the heat transfer
model with a constant value of thermal conductivity.  The best result
was to model the top 1 meter of soil with one value of thermal
conductivity and soil below this with a higher thermal conductivity to
simulate a higher moisture content.  My dissertation (A Model for
Ground-Coupled Heat and Moisture Transfer from Buildings) is available
from http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/33954.pdf.   Appendix C presents
information on soil properties as a function of moisture content.
Specifically, Figure C.4 shows the thermal conductivity of soil with
moisture content.  I would recommend assuming a volumetric moisture
content between 155 and 20% for setting the thermal properties.

Michael Deru, PhD

Senior Engineer

Center for Buildings and Thermal Systems

National Renewable Energy Laboratory

Golden Colorado

303-384-7503