[BLDG-SIM] On-site U-value measurement

Pieter De Wilde pieter.dewilde at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue May 8 12:30:51 PDT 2007

Dear all,

Another option is the use of a thermal probe apparatus. This is at an experimental stage but offers some interesting prospects that make it worthwhile. For instance approaches like hot box measurements tend to dry out the material, rendering some findings dubious, and take a long measurement time. We are using a commercial probe from another discipline on buildings, and have some encouraging results - allthough there are still a lot of issues to be solved as well. I know that UCL is also working in this field, allthough their focus so far is more on moisture content than on U-values - but obviously these two are intertwined.

For some previous publications in the field (which at my institute now go back almost a decade) search the literature for my colleagues Steve Goodhew and Dick Griffiths, or for UCL look for Mike Davies. You are also welcome to contact any of us off-list for further discussion on the topic.

Best regards,

Pieter de Wilde
University of Plymouth