[BLDG-SIM] On-site U-value measurement

David S Eldridge DSE at grummanbutkus.com
Tue May 8 11:22:12 PDT 2007

I would imagine it to be difficult to do with a hand held instrument.  Aside from how this hand held instrument would be designed, or if you could use some combination of the fluke product and some thermocouples, you'll have to account for the thermal storage effects that are occurring in any in-situ measurements....so even if you had the necessary instrument, you might not be able to get accurate results (or more accurate than from estimating based on the material properties) depending on the construction.

As part of my masters research we built a guarded hot box to measure the thermal conductivity of a wall assembly, but that was most definitely not a hand held instrument.  During that process you are subjecting the assembly to a steady state flux which you wouldn't necessarily have in-situ.

I guess it depends on how badly you need these measurements, or if you can quantify the constructions in some other way to accomplish your goals.

David