[BLDG-SIM] Hybrid Heat Pump + Duct Furnace: eQuest

Chapin, Alex alexc at 2rw.com
Thu Nov 29 06:35:35 PST 2007

I have an air-to-air electric heat pump with a gas powered duct furnace.
Is there anyway to accurately account for this in the eQuest wizard?
(I'm still in preliminary stages of project)

This is what I tried.  I entered the system as a split system single
zone heat pump with air as the source.  But when I entered the heating
capacity and efficiency I entered it as an effective value factoring in
both the heat pump heating and duct furnace.  Htg Capacity= Heat Pump
Cap + Duct Furnace Cap, Htg Efficiency = (HP Cap * COP + DF Cap *
Efficiency of DF)/Htg Capacity

One thing that I'm worried about is that I'm eliminating the consumption
of gas, and thus may be skewing my savings.  Does anyone have
suggestions?

One other thing that I had a question about is if what I did is
acceptable, then should I use an all electric baseline HVAC or keep the
fossil fuel type system, even though I'm not actually modeling any gas
use.

Thanks

Alex Chapin, E.I.T.
Energy Engineer