[BLDG-SIM] eQuest - ERV and Preconditioning

Taylor Keep taylor.keep at arup.com
Wed Nov 28 10:16:55 PST 2007

Our team is modeling various energy recovery and preconditioning schemes
for a 100%OA hospital campus. The simulation results for both our CV and
VAV systems are unexpected as we change between different energy
recovery/preconditioning strategies. I would REALLY appreciate any
insight you could provide toward explaining the results below.

Our energy recovery schemes are "Sensible HX" (runaround coil or
air-to-air plate & frame HX) with "Mixed Air Reset" temperature control
accomplished by the "Modulate HX" strategy. The preconditioner is
indirect evaporation operating together with the main coil (and all
other default settings).

1) Runs without energy recovery or preconditioning are outperforming
runs that include these strategies overall.

2) Energy recovery is increasing fan energy (expected - though perhaps
not as big a difference was expected), increasing cooling energy
slightly (unexpected with mixed air reset control), and decreasing
heating energy (expected). The fan energy increase offsets any or all
improvements on the heating side.

3) Indirect evap preconditioning is only slightly improving or in some
cases increasing cooling energy (unexpected) and increasing heating
energy (unexpected).

Thank you for your help! We are working hard to issue some results
regarding these strategies soon.

Taylor
Taylor Keep
Mechanical, LEED(r) AP