[BLDG-SIM] LEED Building Orientation

Keith Lane keith_lane at g-g-d.com
Tue Nov 27 11:39:42 PST 2007

I am modeling an existing building for Energy & Atmosphere Credit 1:
Optimize Energy Performance. In LEED and table G3.1 No. 5(a) of ASHREA
Standard 90.1-2004, it states that "the baseline building performance
shall be generated by simulating the building with its actual
orientation and again after rotating the entire building 90, 180, 270
degrees, then averaging the results". However table G3.1 No. 5(f) of
ASHREA Standard 90.1-2004 states: "for existing building envelopes, the
baseline building design shall reflect existing conditions prior to any
revisions that are part of the scope of work being evaluated." Would
this mean that you do not need to simulate the building for the four
orientations? It just doesn't seem to make sense to simulate the
building in such a manner if it is existing. I am new energy modeling
for LEED credit and sincerely appreciate any assistance.

Thank you,

Keith Lane, LEED AP

Mechanical Engineer

Garcia.Galuska.DeSousa

Consulting Engineers                     Inc.

370 Faunce Corner Road, Dartmouth, MA 02747

p.508.998.5700                          f. 508.998.0883