[BLDG-SIM] Equest: ERU with added heat and vfd's

Kevin Kyte kkyte at robsonwoese.com
Wed Nov 21 07:54:50 PST 2007

Simulating an energy recovery unit which serves six air handling units.  I
suppose this is simply enough, I split the total cfm into percentages for
each unit and incorporate into each unit's heat recovery, yes?  Is there any
way to include additional heat from the energy recovery unit? Perhaps split
the total heat into percentages and include this in each unit's heating
capacity.  How about variable frequency drives on supply and exhaust fans
for energy recovery unit?  Perhaps this could be modeled as a 10% reduction
in the fan power similar to occupancy sensors on lights?  Regarding LEED,
would usgbc need a credit interpretation request for something like this or
maybe just mentioning it as a default overridden in the submittal would
suffice.  Would anyone who has encountered this care to chime in?  Any
suggestions would be forthcoming.  Thank you.

Kevin Kyte, LEED AP

Jr. Mechanical Engineer

RobsonWoese, Inc.

T:  716-636-1800